Learn the art of jazz bass. Whether you are new to playing jazz or wish to hone your skills, and whether you play acoustic or electric bass, this book will help you expand your basic technique to create interesting and grooving basslines and melodically interesting solos. Included are 166 audio tracks of demonstrations and playa longs, featuring a complete jazz combo playing basslines and solos over standard jazz progressions.
The price of this book includes access to audio tracks online, for download or streaming, using the unique code on the first page. Now including PLAYBACK+, a multi-functional audio player that allows you to slow down audio without changing pitch, set loop points, change keys and pan left or right – available exclusively from Hal Leonard.
You will learn to:
- Build jazz basslines that support the tune’s underlying harmony and keep the motion moving forward
- Understand and use jazz harmony such as chords, scales and modes
- Play over standard jazz progressions, such as ii-V’s, rhythm changes, blues, and other changes used by many jazz standards
- Develop lines reflective of many jazz eras, from early swing to post bop
- Develop your sense of time and groove
- Use articulations such as skips, dead notes, pull-offs, hammer-ons, rakes, and others
- Use line development techniques such as vamp, pedal points, and various styles of grooves and feels
- Compose imaginative and engaging bass solos